Monday, February 11, 2013

Hackery

I often complain that the internet is mostly just criticism, a high-tech way to ceaselessly judge each other. I say that so you know what a hypocrite I am. Or maybe because this is less a criticism and more of a warning, take your pick. To my credit I think, I'm not calling anybody out by name.

So here goes.
[It will help to imagine me winking at this point]

Esteemed writers of cinema, cartoons, and games,

Writing believable-yet-entertaining characters can be hard, I know. Thoughtful, witty dialogue is such a drag. And now thanks to that Joss Whedon asshole, people are going to expect more of that.

Have no fear! Instead of challenging your audience's perceptions, just rely on ethnic stereotypes to get your point across!

I've completed this handy table to help you. Simple find the adjective/noun that best describes your character and choose an appropriate accent. Those overpaid actors do the rest of the work for you!

Character is:Accent should be:
CrazyRussian, Scottish
HornyFrench, Spanish, Latin American
Manly/ViolentScottish
Pompous/RichEnglish, WASP
RudeVarious New York City
Scientist/GeniusGerman
Weird/GoofyIndian, Swedish
Witty/CleverEnglish























No comments:

Post a Comment